Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Stress relief workout video (How to name it)

I saw this little image on face book that said "Work Out every (expletive) Day" and then said do 100 push ups, 100 squats, 100 sit ups and then run in place for ten minutes.
I like the simplicity of it and I try to do different things. I've also been getting pretty skinny so I decided to do it. Well I did a modified version because I started with meditation and my sit ups were a stretch sit up and I just did basics instead of squats and shadow boxed for the rest in between sets.

But Today I am pretty sore. I remember why I stopped doing so much push ups. But I need to find a balance. I need to work out my upper body but I guess I will have to ease into it because I feel like I sacrificed some technique and the stiffness feels like toxins. So Today I just did meditation and stretching.
I was going to do a set of basics for the camera but even  if I do it for people to follow along, I don't want a video much longer then 10 minutes. I've also been teaching my friend our Mein Lei Jum and I'm pretty sore so I went with a Mein Lei Jum video instead.

But doing the whole form will make it impossible to follow along. So I decided to just do a few techniques.

Here is my attempt

But realistically, I guess you would just watch this video, and not follow along right? I mean I'm kin dof moving too fast. It's more fo a reference point for is I'm already teaching you. But If the video was just one technique would that be too boring.

Plus after watching it, you're probably like, "Dude this is Tai Chi."

 Perhaps I should just call it Tai Chi. I can allow that. Or call it "Mein lei jum" Tai Chi.

But when it comes to calling my Kung Fu " Karate", well that's harder to swallow. And if I allow the one.. well isn't that a slippery slope.

In fact Jonah started calling it Karate just to piss me off, and then Noah followed suit.
It would be easier to just give up and go with it huh?
 I mean I wouldn't even have to call it Karate. If I opened a school and wrote Kung Fu up there people would still call it Karate, so all I would have to do is not correct someone when they called it that. I mean they aren't completely wrong right? It's still a martial art. There is a relationship. Would I be as annoyed if someone called what I was doing Hung Gar? I guess I should just say "Martial Art."

I wouldn't even have to sell gis I could just allow the Karate types who want to wear gis to wear them if that's what they need to do to get focused, And I just wouldn't wear said Gi. But I bet, there would still end up being a room full of people wearing gis, yelling and punching. So then what am I doing?

(Sigh)

That's why I just want to go make up my own terminology, with my Celtic Cross Kung Fu. Call it the magic Fairy dance or something and maybe then someone will pay attention when I tell them the moves are based on Chinese Kung Fu. But in the end, to relax, I always go back to the stuff I studied, which is the traditional art.

So what should I call myself?


Cheung's Martial Arts. How's that sound? It's a lot shorter than Cheung Family Kung Fu.
Cheung's. Even better. CHEUNG's (martial arts).
"Hey guys let's go over to Cheung's?"
"I think you should hire Cheung's for the lion dance performance."
Or just Cheung.
"I do Cheung."
"I Practice Cheung."
"I Cheung on the weekend."
Dragon Cheung's? Tiger Cheung's? Lion Cheung's?
Here's one that would work for Grace teaching a self defense class.
"Lion Mom Cheung Self Defense."
Get it? Instead of Tiger Mom? Because Grace is also Taiwanese American? And we don't the other lady suing us.


Then again there's always Kung Fu Dad. Anyway, this video I'm sharing is me running through some relaxing techniques. If you want me to make another video just going through stuff one at a time, or a longer video where I do the whole form and you follow along, I can do that. But like and subscribe and write comments on my blog. And share. And buy my book for goodness sake!


No comments:

Post a Comment