Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Dai Dai's Time Travel

We are watching Back to the Future this Sunday afternoon and Dia Dia comes up to me, "Look what I can do Baba! He jumps up and then lands on his knees.
"Aiya! don't do that Dai Dai! you will hurt yourself. I used to do that too and my mommy told me not to."

"What's going on?" Grace said. I guess it was freaky because of the whole time travelling thing. 

But it's true, I remember running up to my mom in the Philly house and saying, "Look what I can do!" and then jumping up into the air and instead of landing on my feet I landed on my knees because I thought it was cool that I stayed on the air longer that way. 
I've also been feeling very time travelly because I was looking at old photos for my Chinatown blog and I've been listening to a lot of old stories. Listening to those stories is like travelling there almost. 

Then looking at the pictures of myself, I see Dai Dai. It's like Dai Dai is back there in the 80's sleeping in a stroller the way he does now. My mother also happened to take a picture of someone in Chinatown. I facebooked and one of my friends is her Grandaughter. But I thought it was her aunt because my mind was in that fantastical time travelling mood. You look into the past and you see people from the present and in some ways you see the future too.

Watching Back to the Future gave me another idea. All this takes place in a small town, and I thought of all the events that became legendary in Chinese Villages regarding Kung Fu. And if you think about it, Chinatown might be in the city, but it is a lot like a small town itself. I had experimented with writing a novel about the lion masks being time machines. But I stopped because I got out of my depth. I was going to have them be ancient time machines that were uncovered in Nicaragua with the building of the Canal by a Chinese Tycoon.

But wouldn't it be cool to just focus on the Lion head time machine thing in Boston's Chinatown? Like in the 1700's it was beach front property. In the late 1800's it was a small Chinatown. Then the whole 1911 revolution thing had to do with overseas Chinese Americans and other Americans raising money to support that movement. And then what about the future? But of course I have to study more, and do more research.

No comments:

Post a Comment