Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Altar for a young man

I have passed by this altar several times.

Each time I pass by it is because I am going into are coming back from Chinatown.
It kind of makes me feel like I am doing stuff for Chinatown, but not doing enough in the Community where I now live. 


What happened here? I had to look it up, although I did hear about it through Twitter. It was a stabbing . I think I might have biked passed it right after it happened because I remember seeing a lot of police around there and thinking "Should I investigate this now that I am blogging" But I didn't want to get in the way, or worse, get caught in the middle and somehow become a suspect or a victim. 
In the articles I read the incident happened at around 3:20 and I would have been biking down there before that, around 2:20 or so, because I was coming back to pick up my son.  When I first moved to JP not long ago these were the first things that struck me. The altars set up by the community... sometimes where a red spot still stained the cement. (That one was a shooting) Can I do anything about it? These young men knew each other. They got into a fight. No gun was used, it was a knife. 

My sons fight. Sometimes it gets out of hand and something is picked up. But they are small children and they are brothers....If there were no knife the stabbed young man would most certainly be alive. But knives are so easy to come by. What can be done?

I may be naive, but I do think Martial Arts and meditation could help. Not the victim. But you can change the culture in a way that you can make people not want to carry a knife. Or maybe not. Maybe martial arts doesn't matter at all. Maybe tragedies just happen. But it seems like even if one of them had somewhere to go, or something else to do so that they did not have time for this argument...no, but maybe they did already belong to some community program. Hard to say. 

A very successful man told me in high school he had carried a cheese knife and when another guy had hit him with books in the back of the head this man went Bezerk and cut the attacking boy's face. He did not serve any time because of the culture of the country and time where this happened. But after that he didn't dare carry any sort of weapon ever. In fact he is  a very nonviolent person. 

He went on to do many successful incredible things. 

The other boy had a cut face, but he lived.

Too bad that was not the case at Jackson Square. One boy is dead, the other we most certainly serve time for murder in prison. 

When I was at Moh Goon in Tai Tung Village, one boy stabbed another in the parking lot. (I was not there I heard about it later.) The victim was stabbed in the abdomen. He was lucky. He lived. The attacker, I'm not sure what became of the case, but he probably served two years only because nobody died and because of the volume of cases in Suffolk County. 

People were harmed in this case. 

But still it is then thousand times better than the incident that resulted in candles next to a T station Pillar.

Something can be done. Can't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment