Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Nazis and Star Wars

We were getting ready for bed and Grace mentioned something about people wanting to boycott the new star wars and I'm not even going to go into their reasoning because they have to be a fringe minority of white supremists. By why would Nazis like star wars? I mean traditionally Science Fiction is the one genre where people of color can get cast more easily. I mean after all there are blue and green people with tentacles sticking out of their head too?
Plus, I've heard stuff where the original 1970's star wars didn't have a lot of women or people of color. But Billy Dee Williams was there. And in the newer one Samuel L. Jackson was a Jedi. And Natalie Portman was a heroic Queen Amidala. I'm just saying why would White Supremist types be the main fan base for this genre?  I mean when I heard that they didn't like that Idris Elba was Heimdall, I thought it was weird. But it kind of makes sense because the Aryan Nation and Hitler were all about the Norse myths. I mean why you would think that Marvel Comics would stick with your world view is strange but I can see why they would go to twitter and groan.

 But why would Nazis watch Star Wars?

Then I remembered that maybe there is  a reason why they would like star wars. I mean Jar Jar binks was basically the Amos and Andy type of minstrel show character except you can get away with it because he is an alien. And then Anakin's owner had a very Der Sturmer caricature of how Nazis drew Jewish people.

Then the orginal Star Wars plot is a lot like the Weimar Republic turning into the Third Reich. But it's also a lot like Rome's history. Plus Storm Troopers are a lot like SS storm troopers and the uniforms look very WWII Germany-esque. So maybe Neo Nazis do get together and watch Star Wars together.


But I love that J.J. Abrams made a conscious decision to try and find actors and actresses of color. That's amazing. But beside all that, the trailer is just awesome. I have so many questions! How did the Empire suddenly take over? Why is the original star wars (4,5,6) just a legend? And Harrison Ford is back! Because honestly I it's Han Solo that did it for me. Mark Hamill... I don't hate him. But even his character, Luke is just kind of lame. I'm really excited watch this new Jedi, who starts off as a storm trooper. And you need a vigorous actor for battle scenes. Someone who can really kick ass. Harrison Ford was like that when he was older.  Mark Hamill not so much. And all the fight scenes in episode 1,2,3, sucked. I'm more a fan of the new Disney stuff. But what J.J. Abrams did with Star Trek was amazing and it looks like Star Wars has just entered a new era of awesomeness.

So forget these White Supremist punk. Star Wars is about to get a bunch of new fans who usually wouldn't go for Science Fiction I bet. This trailer by itself is already incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment