Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Costco Piano Adventure

Mommy got the Costco keyboard that will function as our family's piano. Who will play said piano? I suppose it will be Jonah eventually. But right now I will only let him play it while supervised. It's a key board after all, not a real piano, so I think it is easier to break. No banging on it! I mean, I didn't think he would be able to break my dulcimer sticks. I mean you would have to purposefully snap the heads off. So I will be watching him very carefully even if he is just fooling around.

Mostly while I set up the key board the kids played with the Styrofoam and the cardboard box. It turns out, Noah can punch through the styrofoam and Jonah cannot. Surprise? Not really. But it got me rethinking my position on breaking boards. In a way you don't need that. But in another way, besides building confidence, which is what most martial arts schools use it for, or conditioning your hands (which can be done on a tree or a punching bag or the ground, without breaking anything) it is kind of a test. I mean I can tell Jonah's punches aren't that great. But when you say that you just piss off the child and also he thinks you are lying. So the board, wooden or styrofoam, is more of a test not for the teacher, but for the student.
"You see, you can't break the board so your punch isn't strong enough."

Anyway, the boxes became ships which we raced on, and then we went to the piano once it was set up.

It got me thinking.

I have been trying to rewrite some Irish songs with Lyrics about Chinatown. Noah's learning violin. We know the lyrics to the Wong Fei Hung song as well as the "Best in the world" song in Hokien, maybe we should start a band. The Chinatown Cheungs. Or maybe we should drop the "e" since it confuses people. The Chinatown Chungs. Or maybe it should still be Kung Fu dad and sons for now. I mean we're already going around performing right?

Well today I'm off to the Clean Up Chinatown meeting. I guess I'll blog about that on my other more Journalistic blog. A couple of people have said I should just do it all on one blog and just hammer "Kung Fu Dad" as a brand name over and over. But I'm hoping some other people might contribute to the Chinatown Blog too.

We'll see.

Better bring my nicer camera instead of the Go Pro. Maybe I'll run into some people to interview.


No comments:

Post a Comment