Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, October 11, 2015

New Chinatown Blog

I used to write for the Chinatown blog. It actually wasn't my blog but I submitted a lot of content. After I had kids I stopped and the owner of the blog also got too busy with other stuff. For a while people would still talk to me about it when they met me. "Oh I think I know you from the Chinatown blog." etc.
With Kung Fu Dad I blog a lot about personal stuff and I've been trying to make it more about Chinatown too. But Grace made me realize that maybe I should have a blog specifically for Chinatown that was more journalistic. And I could still do all my really opinionated stuff on Kung Fu Dad. But Kung Fu dad shouldn't be where my journalistic stuff was.
So I'm doing it.
When I was a kid people saw me as someone who was not a follower. Not someone they had to worry about joining a gang. But I realize that for a while I have just been doing whatever other people told me. And Grace's suggestions are usually the best ones.

Basically the blog's goal will simply be to hold up a mirror to Chinatown. The good, the bad, the controversial, all of it.

I don't want just, "Woah is the community." But also the whores and the druggies and the condos and all of it. I want to talk to people who live in Chinatown, who own businesses in Chinatown, who work in Chinatown, and also the people who are the "gentrifiers" What do they think?

And you know what else? I want to go to Southie and ask some of those locals what THEY think about Chinatown. There's stuff you can't print in a newspaper. But this blog isn't to take sides. That's what Kung Fu Dad is for.
So I guess I should try to talk to developers too. Everyone. But of course at first it's going to be mostly people from Chinatown or part of the community in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment