Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Recent Reading.

I read Jorge Ramos's "Immigrant Manifesto", glanced through a book about the Chinese in Mississippi and I'm finishing up on Thomas Cahill's, "How the Irish Saved Civilization." Of course I would apply what I see in these books to my own experience, especially with Chinatown. Jorge Ramos's book was actually pretty eye opening because of all the studies that work to debunk the stuff that has been said, THIS Campaign. But one of them I wary of. The one about crime being lower in immigrant populations. Immigrants, especially an undocumented one, are less likely to report crimes. But in any case, less crimes against citizens then right?
It's just weird that everyone always likes to pick on immigrants, because their easy. Politicians do it because they can't vote anyway. Robbers do it because they can't report the crime. And people of the same ethnic group do it as a way of aligning themselves with the people in power.
From the bits and pieces I read about the Chinese in Mississippi, similar stuff happened. Chinese started of black and sort of moved up to white. And then that community has dwindled significantly because after a few generations they just wanted to get out of that whole system and go up north. Not that the north doesn't have a similar social structure, but it's not written into law.

If you believe Thomas Cahill's book, (which I think is contradicted somewhat by a book I read about the Druids) Cahill paints a picture of Irish culture being upgraded and unsavaged (mostly, or at least greatly) by Christianity. No white person nowadays really talks about Chinese culture as being savage (though they used to.) Instead you see that kind of rhetoric from Chinese themselves talking about newly immigrant Chinese. Or Taiwanese talking about Mainlanders. Or Northern mainlanders talking about Southern Mainlanders. Or... flip all those around.

In Chinatown there is this belief that certain parts of the population need to be educated or punished. Brought the good news to them, as if they are other.

Do I have a real point to this? Not really.  On to children's reading. I could say something like "We're all one." or "let's work together." But I say that shit a lot. Today I'm just making notes.

On to Children's reading!

Jonah has memorized the Moh scale of hardness. Time to get some new books.

I also got something from school that says he is far sighted. Doesn't that mean he sees better far away than up close? Doesn't that mean he should have trouble reading? But the kid is always reading? Well I guess we have to take another look.



No comments:

Post a Comment