Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Knowing your family history

Doctors tell you it's pretty important to know your family history, in terms of what runs in the family regarding heart disease etc. As far as I can tell it looked like I was screwed on both sides in that regard (though there are some Polish Super genes on my mom's side... but did those come out in me? not sure.)

But I also feel like it is important to know the personalities of your family. Granted I have two boys, and they have very different personalities. I learn just from seeing them about myself.
But I think other traits and tendencies run in the family too. Like Personality.

For instance, I knew from a young age that my Dad was addicted to gambling, so I don't gamble.

I don't drink either, but it's mainly because I have low tolerance to begin with.

On my mother's side it was surprising to find out that I had someone from my grandmother's generation or even before that who was a drug addict. So when that manifests itself in the family later on... well  it just seems less surprising.

Today I learned something surprising though. I learned that my dad did Cocaine. The reason why I found this surprising is because in school you have the drug education class and they tell you that if you try cocaine once, it gets into your fat so that you will always have an urge to have it. I.e. you will never not be an addict.

But the thing is, my dad had a job took care of me.

I mean the two professions that I know of that are famous for cocaine are restaurant worker, and Finance guy, like wall street type. Cocaine is a stimulant so maybe in these instances it actually enables you to do your job better.

So it's different than Heroin in that respect.

But really what I am getting at is this. If all these people can do drugs and still be functional in society, have all sorts of business going on etc. ...What excuse now does the person have you cannot get a job, or cannot take responsibility? You know what I am saying?

Obviously different substances affect people differently. Like some people are addicted to food. That trait runs in my family as well.

I guess what I am saying is if my Dad could do all those things. whatever maybe all these ventures and working sort of failed. But if he could do all that, some good stuff some bad stuff and he didn't speak English.... then I can do even more than what I am doing right now. Sleep is important. Health is important. But I have sort of under extended myself recently. So it's okay to try and do more Kung Fu classes around the city...and I suppose for  me, Lion Dance and Kung Fu is like my version of cocaine and gambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment