Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, March 18, 2016

Kung Fu is Hard

Okay I don't think Kung fu is necessarily harder than other sports. In fact my whole 3 month inrto classes are based on that idea. But some of the real simple classic Hung Gar -ish type moves I show people are pretty hard. In fact I didn't realize how hard they were until I taught them to people and they couldn't do it. I guess normally I taught them to students who had already gone through the whole process of the basics and various forms before getting to that form. So by the time they learn that form, they pretty much already know that move, so they just do it. I'm talking about a type of punch called a KWA, by the way. It's an over hand back fist and I think Karate has it too.

But back to my point, I've never shown it to someone who didn't have strong foundation before, of other stuff. I mean even Noah, though he is young, went through a process of all these basics and forms before I showed him that move. So he could just do it.

I guess that goes to show how important the basics and the process is. You can still jump, but you will feel lost.

Also, I forget sometimes that I have been doing Kung Fu for so long, and that I never stopped. I slowed down and did less. But I pretty much still practiced everyday. It's like I forgot about all the times when I saw a move and did it, and yeah I just picked it up, but then to make it look better, you know to try and get it like Sifu's (which I never achieved) I would go and do that thing 100 times or 1,000 times. So of course when I went and did another move I had that basic foundation of having done something else 1,000 times. I forget that I went through that. So I tend to devalue my skill. I mean I know I am good. But I also know that I am not as good as my Sifu was.

At the same time I think like, oh yeah this student will just be able to do these basic moves, their so easy.They might not be able to do this other hard moves. But these ones, nah they are a piece of cake.  I forget what I went through. I forget that I myself am a Sifu.

But still I think a lot is achievable with a little bit every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment