Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

How did the Curley Lion Dance team practice go?

Well it was a lot of fun. I moved the practice place from Pershing road to the side so I could watch my kids more  easily. None of my target group showed up (5th -8th graders) however I got a bunch of kids from the playground. Next week we are going to have it at the Kick ball field. Maybe I will bring a drum to attract more attention, and the kickball field is more visible to the big kids who play on the big field. So maybe I can recruit some of them to join the class. If we are going to parade with the big lion head I am going to need to recruit the older kids.

If it's just the younger kids, I think once a week practice is plenty. But if we are going to have a team of big kids, it would be very useful to have them practice more than that. Twice or three times a week. In fact if I continue this through summer it should even be every day. and every day in the fall and honestly, just continue through winter and then bring these kids down to Chinatown to do the 6 hour parade. Why not? As it is now though, the kids are just having fun and that's all. We won't be able to progress beyond that. But it's only the first class.

Jonah actually participated in my class, which was a first. Maybe it was because all his friends were doing it. Children came and went as they pleased but whatever. The kids who I knew to be mor etough like, stayed the whole time, which shows they are interested.  If you have the option of just leaving, that is actually good. Then those who stay are the ones I want to put my time into.

I found out that Noah can actually sort of do the Lion dance with the big head... which is crazy. I guess it's good strength training. One of the parents commented that even though the little kids were too weak and didn't really know what they were doing, there was enough movement under the head and tail and the head was pretty enough, that it still looked really cool.

The weather was nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment