Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Trump's Campaign

I never campaigned for an election before, but for this April 12 election I have been campaigning for Diana Hwang. And even though my namesake Leland Cheung has entered the race... I feel like I can't switch. I'm not sure why.

But doing door knocking and phone calls and reading phone scripts to people (which I found too vague, and I found myself more convincing when I went off script) I have come to appreciate the genius of Trumps campaign.

The guy is old but he uses Twitter better than anyone else I can think of. I mean he's better  (recently) than the Kardashians.

But also he has all these one liners,

"Let's Make American Great Again!"

"Build A wall!"

"I'm going to put a team together..."

"The truth hurts."

"Political correctness is killing us."

That type of thing that you hear it once and you remember it. So I mean say, you are doing phone calls for Trump, there is no question where he stands, or what to say. You know it.

Someone said to me that they were surprised that a lot of Trump supporters sound like Trump. (Not all.) But it's because of his coming up with these lines.

He has a really good formula for self radicalization. You hear it, you know it, you can now spread the word. It's simple and effective. If you want to judge someone's Presidency by how they campaign, Trump really kicks ass. Obama was a good campaigner too. And though Trump's style is uglier, I think it works even better. He's not getting worn down on the campaign trail. He's getting energized.

Everyone who protests him, they are actually helping him because it makes it look like he's right. The shows of inciting violence.. I can tell you that even I, who do not like that style can sort of see that, from a certain way of thinking, when someone comes into your house and disrupts stuff, you have the right to kick them out. Okay now I sound like a super Trumpster, but I'm just pointing out that someone comes into your house or bar or Dojo...and is there to cause trouble you kick them out. And that is the nice thing to do. The mean thing to do is San mun lai jap.

I will disclose here that if it is Trump v. Hillary, I am going with Trump... but actually the main reason is my friend promised me 3 votes for Diana Hwang in exchange for 1 vote for Trump... and frankly Trump will never win Massachusetts so I have sort of weaseled out of any guilt if Trump actually turns out to be like Hitler.


But in truth... Obama was also compared to Hitler. That comparison, and all the stuff they say about Trump is, when you look at it, not so much twisted, but it does focus on certain points rather than others.. Though then again. Trump trumps up those same points. (Fighting wall building etc.) So again, when people play those points to criticize him, his supporters go crazier for him. And the people who hate him for it, either weren't voting for him anyway, or, for business reasons are going to support him despite his nastiness.

I'm sort of going with the Ernie Boch Jr. method. It's only 4 years.... how much damage can he do? Give him a shot.

But you look at Hillary (and Bernie for that mater) they try to play them off as less war mongering. But if you saw some of the debates you would know that isn't true. Bernie is staunchly Israel and staunchly against Assad. Hillary is as Hawkish as anyone. Trump on the other hand, is all about money. He only wants to go to war if he gets something for it, and so other countries actually prefer him, because he can play ball and make a deal.

Trumps argument is that he will get a good deal for the U.S. The other countries are thinking... at least it is just about money and strength and face. It's simple. It's not about morality or women's rights or justice. That stuff, even though it sounds good... well that can start soem serious idealogical wars.

So am I a Trump supporter? No, it's just that I sold my vote. That being said Hillary hasn't been doing a good job.. in her interviews. Whereas if you look at Trump's interviews. even though he says the same stuff as he says at the rallies.. it just doesn't seem as crazy. He seems reasonable.

Then again Assad seemes pretty reasonable in interviews too. Though that is another story.

Who would I vote for if I hadn't sold my vote?

Kasich.

No comments:

Post a Comment