Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, March 14, 2016

It takes a village

I often heard stories about how my Sifu taught and learned in the village (herng ha). And I always thought this was cool. But I wondered what is the equivalent in the states. We aren't organized by villages. But we are organized by school districts. The more I think about it, the important it is becoming to me to teach in the school yard at the Curley. I have committed to that Lion Dance and Kung Fu Class every Wednesday, but I think it is important to try to rustle up some of the kids to practice some Kung Fu every day. It doesn't have to be long. They just have to learn something. Some basic drills, and then maybe start doing forms together, to show that we can all do some complicated thing that looks cool, all together. And then we'll see where we go from there.

My Sifu said that everyone stopped practicing after he left. He would force all the adult sin his village to line up and drill. He would beat them if they didn't. Adults. But you can't do that here. But that doens't mean you can't encourage people to practice and ask them for their help. It won't take long for them to learn a whole form if you do the drills every day.

But for what?

For what?

Let's cross that bridge when we get to it. If they can learn, then pretty soon they can teach and that is something. I cam't do it by myself. I need people to follow and people to lead.. and people seem willing, So I might as well just try this out and see where it takes me. Maybe these kids and parnets will get really good. Maybe not. It doesn't even really matter. Most importantly it will show we can all do something together which is strength in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment