Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, March 14, 2016

Chess Lessons with Corey Tolbert

So we started Noah in Chess lessons. Most of these lessons, violin, chess, whatever are Grace's idea. Except for Kung Fu, which I teach Noah myself.. and is totally stressful because he's my son. Though I recognize that for Kung Fu Noah is ready for a lot of stuff, and Jonah just simply isn't and it's okay. So it's not like I am pushing Noah too much.

And btw if you think Noah doing Chess is too much.... no the kid likes chess. I wasn't against it, it's just I didn't see a need to pay for it at first. But this chess teacher is so affordable and also calm and is offering a lot of other things through the lessons. like morality.. basically the type of stuff you would want a Sifu to offer.

How do I mean?

Well he was explaining about the King, and how the King is the most important but not the most powerful.

"You have a little brother don't you? Don't you take care of your little brother?"

And Noah, being the cut throat take care of numero uno type shark that he is was like, "uhhhhh..""
anyway my point is this guy showed, through a chess lesson, that Noah should take care of his little brother. So it's not like Baba is just making that stuff up. See this other guy, that can totally kick Baba's butt at chess and 100 other people (he did an exhibition at Faneueil Hall) also thinks I should take care of my little brother. See what I mean? It's like Sifu and priest except we're learning chess. It's worth it.

So the teacher came in and they started playing. Jonah was actually really quiet. And I had to leave because I think I was making Noah nervous, after all he kept looking over at me for some reason. So I just had to leave the room. So I heard this from Grace. It was so quiet that the ticking of the clock was really really loud and then Jonah starts sipping his milk out of these new sippy cup containers Grace got and it was like, "Suuuucckkk slluurrrrppp"

"You really like that milk don't you?" Said the teacher I guess it was pretty funny.

Anyway I poked my head back in to look at them and saw that I didn't understand anything about the game they had played. The pieces looked completely different from any game that I ever played with Noah. So I just stepped back out  and just read my book.

If you want to have lessons with Corey check out his website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment