Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Picking Fruit

For Labor day we went to Look Out Farms. expensive, but close, and fun. We picked peaches, plums and apples. A small train took us to each picking area though tunnels made of trees and a roof of grape vines, which we also pciked through a choi chiang lion dancing technique. Jonah was more fearless, standing up on my shoulders immediately. But he wasn't as good at grabbing the grapes. He also didn't bend his knees to get down, but chose instead to fall straight forward like a tree, laughing at my having to hold him awkwardly and yelling for him to just bend his knees. Noah was afraid to stand up or to let go of my hands and reach up.  But he did understand the concept of picking the grape.
There was a playground and other attractions. There were no pony rides or BBQ food because it was a rainy day and not a lot of people showed up. But I actually preferred the overcast day. When it started getting sunny it got oppressively hot. We ate lunch at Comella's in Wellsley. We got some funny looks there. Not sure if it was because we were a mixed couple. (or looked like one anyway) I thought that the White Male Asian Female combination was considered okay and only the Asian Male White Female combination that was still more confined to Jamaica Plain and other such "alternative lifestyle" neighborhoods. I know my parents had problems because that was their combination. But for most welthy neighborhoods, the former white male asian female combo should be normal by now, because that combo tends to have money.
Of course there was also the fact that there was dirt on my shoulders from the kids picking grapes. Or maybe I don't look as white as I think. During parts of my life I have been mistaken for Hispanic. But nobody in JP ever asks me a question in Spanish at a restaurant or grocery store. Anyway, for whatever reason A this white guy and this black guy looked us over like we didn't belong. So it was probably the dirt on my shoulders. But the servers were great and the food was great. Another good reason why that BBQ wasn't open at the orchards because that wouldn't have been as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment