Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, September 28, 2013

10 am Saturday

I love that I switched my Kung Fu class to Saturdays at 10 am. Let's start with what I used to do on weekends. I used to teach at Mission Park, which is the projects. Yeah I got some money for it, but it just ruined my day. Not ruined it exactly, just messed it up. The class was in the middle of the day and lasted for two hours. But it usually took around an hour to get to and from there, so that's like three hours out of my day. Three hours of being on a bus, or inside a building of many buildings in the projects. The neighborhood isn't dangerous during that time of day. But still, bricks are bricks. And I look at bricks for a large part of the weekday going into Chinatown. Now I look at trees. In fact that Pinebank area is tucked behind trees. So it is like you are completely surrounded by trees.
Okay so the class on Tuesday I started for free was cool. But now that I think about it, it's nice on Tuesday to not have to rush back to JP from Chinatown to go home, get the stuff and then head to do the class, which had a low turnout. Now on Tuesday I go to whatever playground I feel like, and on Wednesday I have that little Panda thing anyway.
Finally on Saturday, we get up a little later (I mean the kids, if they sleep that is) and 10am is late enough to be a relaxed time to get somewhere (especially don the street) and early enough to feel like I'm getting out of the house and doing something with my life. Plus since I take both kids, Grace can do whatever she wants.
The turnout is also higher. and since it's free I can make the thing 15 minutes long (though we've been doing more like 24 minutes, and I think I start my kids a little earlier warming up with basics. I have to get there a little earlier, after all I am teaching the class.So they do a pretty substantial class. My hope is that people keep coming consistently to the class so that Noah and Jonah will have Kung Fu friends. Maybe eventually when they are older we can even have a lion dance team. But right now I shouldn't push that. Let's just see if the kids come consistently first before I start setting goals for the class. Though a goal is starting in my mind for Kung Fu anyway. I'm going to start introducing the basic form. The real one. Luk lik. At least so Noah can start learning it, and Jonah and the others can be introduced at least to the techniques. Then if everyone could do the whole thing together eventually, that would be cool. I'm not going to pressure that yet though.

No comments:

Post a Comment