Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

One Soul

I have been thinking about this idea a lot recently. Not that we are all part of one big Soul/God/ Brahma. But actually one little soul reincarnated over and over. Part of the idea popped into my head when I was watching NOVA 's episodes about Physics. It explained quantum physics for lay people like me for entertainment. In any event, time and space are connected and different areas of space have their own time and indeed time is more like space than a river that flows and then is gone. Time actually goes in all directions and past and future is more like right and left or north and south. Of course we don't experience it like that, but that's what quantum physics says its like (apparently.... I'm not a scientist) The other part of the idea cam when I was reading Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix saga. He had one of the character's be reincarnated in the past. I had always thought of reincarnation as only being able to happen chronologically. But then if time is really space-time, then Chronological is not as limited as we would think of it as being on a time line.
So maybe  not only can you be reincarnated in the past or the future, but one soul (if you believe in souls) could theoretically live out many lives , being reborn over and over throughout space-time. So when you squish a bug, it's not just that in the future you may be reincarnated as a bug and someone else can squish you. It's that you may be reincarnated as that same bug that you are not squishing and be squished by yourself, or that in a past life you were that bug and your present self is now squishing your past self. Of course past present and future is not only not as significant in the time you can be reincarnated, but probably also in the order in which the soul goes. It doesn't matter if the bug you squish is your past or future self. The point is that part of yourself is killing another part of yourself. I think of this every time I swat a bug, because Grace asks me to. I usually have to swat it out of the air first and then go for the control shot after it is stunned and wriggling on the ground. In any case, I obviously still squish my bug selves and argue with my other human selves. I'm just saying the idea has occurred to me that we are all one. Not just like the left arm and the right arm are two different parts of the same Whole self. But the way in which my childhood self and my teenager self are different parts of the whole self.

No comments:

Post a Comment