Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Circles

I went with Jonah to another little Panda Kung Fu session today. I have started using lion dance for stretches and warm up, right after seated breathing. But I use lion dance without the head. I figured not everyone can get a turn on the head so it's a bit of a distraction. Also It's hard to carry so much stuff. I had a lot of success with just using the hit pad yesterday at Pinebank and last week for both classes. So I fgure that's the only prop I need. However, the little kids had a problem going in a circle. I think part of it is that at Pinebank I have the kids run around a tree. The tree centers the circle, making sure that the circle is wide enough. Plus when there is a tree there, you can't very well cut through the middle. But this often happens when there isn;t a tree to center the circle because the kids want to cut in front to hit the pad again. There are trees in the courtyard but they are placed on the edges, which makes more sense aesthetically. But it just means I can really use them to run around. You would think I could explain how to run in a wide circle.. around this tree and also outside this pole. But kids that young don;t really understand directions like that easily. And when they finally get it, then you have to show them how to hit the pad again and they have lost interest. We just made due with a lopsided circle and then moved on to more songs.


I explained to the director that I decided to have the class take place in JP instead because it was just easier that way.

It turns out they are having an August Moon party too and I will probably do something like that. I'll see if Woo Ching WHite Crane and/or the Federation can do some lion dance for it too. Probably just the kids from Woo Ching White crane. It would just be cool to have the big kids do the lion dance and drumming with the big kid equipment. Of course the real thing might be scary. Truth is just bringing it down might be good enough, We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment