Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Going through the motions

This morning I got up pretty early. But I just didn't feel in the mood for meditation, or kung fu. Sometimes that's enough for me to try and go back to sleep, or do something else. But recently I have been starting the day with sun Salutation from Yoga. I treat it as just stretching out or going through the motions lightly. For some reason, if I do the positions that I am familiar with and use for hardcore Kung Fu/Chi Gung/ spiritual practice, it is a bit much. Or if I just go through the motions with these movements I feel Like I am being fake or false. But If I go through the motions with Yoga moves, or even somebody else's basic chi gung stretches from Tai Chi or something, that seems okay to me. And even though I'm not training as "seriously" it's better than going back to bed and it helps me to warm up to the idea of actually training.
Today I had allergies too. which means I was sneezing and not able to breathe through my nose well. Again, This would throw me off if I was trying to do some of my real training. But Since I was just going through the motions, I did a lot. After a while I started going through my old stretches and calisthenic stuff that I used to do after meditation at the beginning of every Kung Fu class. I suddenly started remembering my beginning days at Woo Ching White Crane. In the beginning, if I got there early, I would just find a corner and do all these stretches and calisthenics. I just wanted to practice but felt too embarrassed to do Kung Fu. I felt I couldn't practice because I didn't know a form yet. And for some reason I felt I had to do all these calisthenics and stretches before I did basics. Or I didn't want to do basics because I knew that during class we would be doing plenty of those. After I finished my first form I suddenly realized how important basics were (even though everyone had been telling me that all along) and I started doing a lot more of those.
I guess this popped into my mind because I was again just going through the motions of practice. But now I was getting back in shape and in the beginning I was getting into shape in the first place. I guess you need some sort of base of physical fitness sometimes before you are ready for Kung Fu, and if you let that base go... well it's not that your Kung Fu will necessarily suffer... but anyway this morning I was thinking about it again. It was something to do. It was part meditative, because I was trying to do it that way, but not really. But it was something and I feel accomplished and it is still pretty early in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment