Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, September 27, 2013

Coaching my kids privately.

Every day this week I have been making my kids do Kung Fu at the Kung Fu school for a few minutes after school. I think it's like 15-20 minutes usually. But today nobody was there, and even though I actually did less basics, (chuen, pow, cup, been ngaow, and a kick) The class was actually an hour. Originally I thought my kids would learn better in a group. The truth is, it does seem like they pick it up faster and are happier when all the pressure is not on.. Noah (Jonah gets of the hook for now) But there are times when I feel like we are making more progress with actually learning the move properly when it is just me and Noah. The problem is, when it is just me and Noah, my standards become higher exponentially and he will start crying, not so much because I am asking him to do something hard, but mainly because he doesn't seem to understand what I am trying to tell him. For instance, I want him to hold his hand out for me to correct his technique, but he doesn't understand that I want him to do that. Or when I tell him to relax, he thinks that just means to drop out of form. So getting him to try to hold the position in and of itself is not physically difficult, but he overloads on instructions and starts crying, and I get frustrated.
My method for this was to turn him upside down and make him walk on his hands, which made him start cracking up. And then I eased up on even trying to get him to do proper technique, and gave more rewards of graham crackers and kisses. All in all, we got a lot done. But it made me understand how important the stance and Jam Jong or Yogic like part of the Kung Fu practice is. They need to do that sort of body strengthening and positioning as a base before they even throw a punch. Otherwise its really hard to get that body positioning right when you are throwing a punch. We might have to do a stance jam jong session (child's style) in the morning. Not something I want to do at the Kung Fu school. It's hard enough getting them to do Kung Fu in the first place. Tomorrow is my 10am kiddie class anyway, and Noah usually does well with that. But I might try to introduce that Jam Jong thing as soon as we wake up anyway. I'm guessing we will do 5 minutes or so total. Not holding Horse stance for 5 minutes. But going through all the stances, some stretchy ones, some balance ones and some upper body strength ones. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment