Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Kung Fu, Community, watermelon, and voting

Today at 10am around 15 people (including kids and adults) were part of the class. It was pretty cool. There were some older kids, which again, really centers the group.
Then we had to rush off to the Oak Street Fair in Chinatown. Not only was Cheung Family Kung Fu doing a demo at 12 pm, but Noah was supposed to perform with Lai Chan as part of the kids Tai Chi group. I guess Noah enjoyed it so I suppose are the rehearsals that he had to participate in and had to give up time at the playground was okay. I didn't realize he had a choice. I thought the whole class was simply performing.
Jonah enjoyed Noah's performance and particularly like the Big Watermelon song.

We had to wait around a while for technical reasons, which is hard for a four year old. And then we had to wait again in between kids Tai Chi and my little gig. Noah kept wanting to run over to this number wheel and spin it. Well eventually it was my turn. It was a little difficult without a hands free mic, but we did the class. And a bunch of kids enjoyed it so that was that. Jonah was pretty tired so Grace headed home with him early. (Bringing our little food coupons with her. Nooo!!!)
We ate a bunch of scallion pancakes and dumpling which were sold fairly cheaply. We did the tooth brushing table, the puppet table, the painting table, and then we did the games upstairs, and Noah did the watermelon eating contest too. John Barros showed up and actually participated in the watermelon eating contest.
I've seen a few other candidates in Chinatown. Felix Arroyo showed up to the Federation. Mike Ross showed up to some of the festivals.
On Thurdsday someone who works for the city actually asked me who I was voting for. I haven't been asked that in a long time.
I'm actually voting for Dan Conley because not only is he a strong candidate, but I know him, and I owe him a favor. Most women usually tut tut at me for that kind of "old politics" thinking, but every male I've told that to nods or says, "Of Course." for that same sort of thinking. But even though my mind is already made up, I appreciate and respect the other candidates for coming out to the communities, and indeed this race does have a lot of strong candidates. I guess the only unbiased reason why I would put Dan Conley above the others is that I think he already knows how to play the political game well enough to be able to accomplish what he wants as Mayor. Whereas I think there will be a more obvious learning curve for the other candidates if they win. Even though they have experience too, it's not the same. I mean most of these Boston events had Menino and Dan Conley standing side by side for a long time. He's already up there. With Conley the transition will be natural and smooth.

But there are a lot of good candidates and everyone should get out and vote for their favorite. I almost wish I could vote for more than one to tell the truth.

 There was a little flash mob performance at Oak Street Fair to get out the vote, which Noah liked. Strangely it seemed to end in an obscene gesture, though none of the kids performing it seemed to know what they were signing. It is more of an Italian gesture, but still it is known to most Americans. The Audience was largely Chinese Immigrant for the adults and Asian and African American for the kids. The dance of course was supposed to be positive and I guess the choreographer must not have known what it meant. This dance is going around to many different communities, I think specifically of color. So I guess they won't be doing  the under arm fist pump in the North End, so it won't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment