Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Noah's School birthday.

Today I dropped off Noah, then did the Kung Fu Panda thing, then ordered the cake to pick up at 3 then went home, did the lunch thing, then soon had to head back out to pick up the mango mouse cake from May;s Cake House to do the birthday thing. Except I forgot the candles so I went back home... (in retrospect I should have just bought new ones)
Noah liked his little simple birthday party which just means cake instead of the regular snack they usually get. I was late but it seemed to turn out okay. Jonah was asleep until the cheers woke him up. I liked the cake and so did my kids, but I noticed that most children just ate the mango exterior and threw the rest away.
After that we passed out the dinosaur grabber thingy part favors and that was that. But I had to stick around until Noah wanted to leave. I mean, he always wants to stay anyway, and today was his birthday, why give him a hard time. Besides, Jonah wanted to stay too. We didn't leave until about 5:15. We headed over to Moh Goon. Today was also Uncle Hong's last day of vacation. Tomorrow he goes back to the grind of restaurant kitchen life. (I swear I've seen knew Chinese immigrants age about 10 years in 6 months living that life.)
Anyway, when we came in, he was actually napping on one of our stretch mats on the floor. Eventually the kids woke him up and after he situated himself he asked m to take a look at the techniques he had been working on. I was actually thinking of a subtle way to broach the subject and was glad he brought it up instead. Today I got him to the full Fu Hok SOng Ying Cuen opening. Of course it does not yet have the look and power of the opening, but he understands it and can practice it on his own until he gets it. I was really glad too that he didn't want to go too far. He is a really easy student. Not so much because he picks up the moves quickly (which he does.) But also because he understands that he can't learn too much at once and understands that he needs to "Leen suk coi seen." Or practice until he has it before moving onto the next step. Noah didn't do many basics, and I guess I have been neglecting HIS Kung Fu training recently. But I know too that all the guys that used to just watch SIfu's students in China as children, gained an ability to pick up the moves fast when I showed them 20-30 years later as adults.
But still, tomorrow Noah is doing his basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment