Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Road to Sochi Tour

This Sunday Our family did Dim Sum followed by a trip to Boston Common to check out the road to Sochi Tour. Noah took a while to warm up to what we were doing there but eventually he was pretty excited about doing activity after activity. It is very interesting what a child will find entertaining. He liked the luge, which was awesome but of course is not nearly as fast as sledding down the sugar bowl, but one of his favorite things to do was the Hockey station. Where he just hit pucks into an open goal. For people that cared, or understood, there was something that measured how fast your puck was going. But he didn't care. He could just stand there all day hitting pucks into an open goal if I had let him. I thought, "I think I have children's hockey sticks and a ball and we leave right near a field with soccer goals." And as I write this now I'm thinking this is probably something we could do in the house if we had a soft puck/plush toy.
Anyway, there was speed skating simulators and various Wii stations, free samples, and curling. I thought Noah would like that, but it ended up being too hard for a child to do. There was also some sort of street cross country skiing which I got on not thinking that maybe I needed to really tighten those boots.
"Have you ever been on skis before?" some guy asked me.
"No."
"I gotta see this." meaning in retrospect, I gotta see this guy fall on his ass on asphalt it's going to be hilarious. I walked over the muddy grass to the asphalt foot path and started going downhill and realized I didn't really know how to stop or turn or anything, and Jonah kept running next to me and in front of me. But I knew I wasn't going fast or anything. I kept trying to like roller blade with them and I never really got to move smoothly. I looked awkward and felt like a clown because the skis kind of felt like Clown shoes. Someone was singing, "I'm Proud to be an American.. " and the audience was watching this very emotional Patriotic moment as I walked by on my street skis right through the crowd and back over the muddy grass because that's the only part where people weren't standing. I smiled weakly saying, "excuse me."
Anyway my kids enjoyed that. I had intended on just going first to show Noah and then letting him go in the adult sized skis (they didn't have kids ones) but after doing it myself, and not having really tied them, I realized he would probably hurt himself.
At some point as me and Noah were waiting in line again for the Hockey station and I thought Grace was watching Jonah, Grace yelled at me, "Where's Dai dai?"
I couldn't see him and it was taking longer than usual to catch sight of him. Then I saw him going up the steps to the Luge station again, by himself, not a care in the world. Apparently he had even tried to run up the little luge hill and the people running it told me ver dramatically they were like, "Noooooo..." you know that slow motion type of No you use in stories. Well that was slightly frightening. I am beginning to notice that I do a better job at watching my kids when Grace isn't there because I will often (wrongly) assume that she will watch a kid or pick up this or that slack, but when I am by myself, I know it is just me. And I guess when it comes down to it, I am the main caretaker and so in a way, Grace is actually not that experienced watching kids.
But then if she is by herself with them she seems to do okay.
I guess its like that old saying.

One monk will carry two buckets of water by hanging on each side of his pole.
Two monks will shoulder one end of the stick and carry only one bucket of water between them.
Three monks will stand around and argue about who is to do what and nobody will get anything done.

Well All in all, it was a fun day and I was actually sore. Not sure if I'm sure from today or from my play session yesterday. Probably both.
While Jonah napped, I took Noah back into Chinatown and we did a little Moh Goon stick fighting session while I waited around to run an errand.
On the way home Noah passed out in the stroller and is yet to wake up. Guess it's time to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment