Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, January 20, 2014

Cheung Family Martin Luther King Day

Noah was pretty confused as to why he didn't have school today. I explained it was Martin Luther King Day. I even tried to go to something special. Here was our day.

We went to the Museum of Fine Arts because it was free today and because of that the line went all the way around the block. Now they did have two things that seemed like they would be  somewhat culturally black. There was story telling at the African art exhibit and then there were neon signs or something like that that were supposed to be about Martin Luther King.
The story telling turned out to be a lady reading a book. (I had imagined some sort of African Story Teller or I mean an African American who had studied African stories and the traditions that went along with that and tried to make it hands on. Drums rattles. something. Maybe I expect that because I'm from JP and there's like a ton of people walking down the street who own drums and rattles and have long dredlocks and wear some sort of culturally African or African American made in China clothes but you know they have the look. They should have hired a friend of mine he would have done all that.
But the story time was something I felt I could just do at home. Noah liked it, but Jonah was running away... in a crowded museum. I began to question my judgement on today's activity. Maybe we should have just gone to the playground.
We went and made Greek medallion coin necklaces instead.
I had actually made something similar on a trip to some museum, but it had been an Egyptian hieroglyph on my coin. Which might have been slightly more appropriate. Not that Egypt has much to do with Dr. King, but I mean at least there is some sort of reach there.
Anyway, the kids now had some proof that they didn't watch tv all day. And despite their lack of wonder and awe at the artifacts which I was beginning to be nervous about, Noah seemed not to want to leave.
But I knew we had reached our limit. He got outside... any exit would do, hopped on the Green line train (which they liked better than the museum) until restaurants were in sight. We walked in and ate some Pizza. There happened to be a guy in there who I recognized. He always works out at the park with swords and he has seen me work out too. But it's not a good time to interrupt someone mid workout so we had never actually talked to each other. But there we got to at least find out each other's names.

We headed home and changed. tried to nap. failed, and then went sledding. Jonah fell asleep in the stroller so he ended up napping while Noah and I went down the hill together. People kept looking over thinking someone had abandoned their child on the side of a hill until they saw me and Noah coming up the hill. Nice to know people are looking out I guess. Noah and I started making a snow man and then made a snow face on a tree instead Then Jonah woke up so we all went down the hill together a few times before heading home and getting dinner and some other business ready.

I was pretty satisfied with our little day off. But it wasn't very Martin Luther Kingly. I tried playing the I have a dream speech yesterday but Noah wasn't feeling it.
 
I saw that other cities had a parade. Did they have a parade here? If they did it wasn't marketed very well because I didn't know anything about it and I was looking for things to do like that. I would go to Roxbury and buy a bunch of stuff for no reason with my kids if such a parade existed. Well i would have at least bought lunch. I'm sure tons of non black people would do that. It could be good for the Roxbury community.
Of course it would have to be near the T and where I could get in and get out easily. They probably did have something. It would be easy to do something at Roxbury Community College, O'Bryant, and Madison Park. Just use that whole area as a fair ground. But I didn't see anything advertised.

No comments:

Post a Comment