Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Clubbing at Dawn

Yesterday it seemed that Boston shut down as a bit of an overreaction. The benefit for me was that after I woke up early to do shoveling that it turned out I could done with a broom, I knew I could get a workout in because Grace's work had closed. Actually the first thing I did was light workout stuff in the house, before I even started shoveling. My plan was to do less reps of stuff like pushups and leg lifts, with stretches and chi gung and yoga poses mixed in between and also sets of 100 palm strikes and kicks. The idea being I would keep everything light, but keep switching and keep going so that I would sort of be getting a cardio as well. My ultimate goal for that is to do a 2 hour session of that every morning. Of course I stopped way before that and when I heard people shoveling next door I figured that was a better use of my energy. But after that was over I grabbed my stick, or I could call it a club, and headed over to the park. It's heavier then a stick a I would use to fight (not that I fight with sticks, or fight at all for that matter) my point is it is heavy for me. But it is not heavy in terms of carrying it around. It's just heavy to swing around. I figure if I use that thing when I workout it will be the strength training I need for my forearms. Again. not particularly heavy. But also not particularly light.
I walked and then as I crossed the street I went into a job, and then I started striking well semi jogging semi kung fu walking. The stick was so unwieldy for me that I was no able to do a swing for each step at that pace, so I just did less swings and more time to set up. Then I slowed my feet to do more swings. Then I started Mein Lay Juming it (like Tai Chi) and going slow, and pretty soon I was tired and was walking back home and swinging the stick when I had the energy.
It was great being in the park in the early morning, able to swing such a heavy deadly club without orrying about hitting anything fragile and able to do so until I was zoning out and tired. Why didn't i do this every day?

Of course when I got back in the house and was undoing my shoes I heard Noah crying. Where was I? Why did I go outside? He had tried to pee pee but was unable to unzip the one-sie and had peed himself and why the well wasn't I there to help him?
So that's when I remembered why I hadn't being doing this everyday. And in fact, it was still pretty early. Usually Noah wouldn't have been up yet. But that might be because if he semi wakes up and he is next to me, he is more able to go back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment