Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Family Push hands

Grace went to an acupuncturist for her knee and her back and was told that most of her health problems are due to too much Yang. She was told to do various exercises which I had already told her to do tui na massage, which I had also already told her to do.
So I tried to get her to follow along with me doing Mein Lay jum. Not the whole form but just a few moves. But I could tell that even though we were only doing a minute or so through out the day that she was having trouble relaxing and focusing and the kids were making it difficult too so the other day I decided to just do push hands with her. Not for the sake of push hands, but just for the sake of doing mein lay jum like moves in a game to make it more interactive and fun.
Grace immediately did really hard Yang moves, which defeats the purpose as far as trying to relax. But she did, "It's just better la."
But then my soft moves just stuck to her and plus I tried to get her to move more, by moving more and bring the whole body into it. My idea was to treat it more like an interactive dance. But then she said, "Your not letting me do all my moves."
So then I tried to not do moves but only follow her moves because this whole exercise wasn't about me or martial arts. It was just about movements. But as soon as I just tried to follow her only without doing any of my own moves she pushed my hand really hard and leaned in with her face. My elbow went into her nose in slow motion (good thing it was slow motion)
"Owww!!!"
"Now my nose hurts!. My eyes hurt too! Grrrrr!"
I suppose that's why you have to do push hands in an unfun structured way as a beginner.
"Dai dai!" she called and then went downstairs to put him to sleep.
This morning I said, "Okay do you want to do Push hands or just mein lay jum.
Grace thought for a second and then got into a fighting push hands stance while laughing. I guess her nose didn't hurt that bad after all. We stayed with one hand push hands and then I held Jonah and Jonah sort of did push hands with Grace too, followed by some Basic Kung Fu moves Grace did by herself and this ended the Morning session. She still did it mostly Yang but she claimed she was already relaxing so maybe it just takes some time.
I tried to get Noah to do some push hands, but recently we have been putting on gloves and he has been pounding me. So by comparison, push hands is boring. He looked at Grace during the push hands and then said, "No." and sat in my lap. Later we did the boxing gloves again. The rule being (his rule) that when he gets to 10 he gets to cup me in the head and I'm not allowed to block or move. I foresee problems with this game as he gets older and bigger, but for now I just let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment