Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Indoor Exercise

Today was rather rainy and even though we sort of did Kung Fu in the park, I felt it was not enough. In fact we had a lot of fun doing swords outside on the melting ice, bu when I tried to bring some structure into it things went to hell. Jonah wanted to go home, and Suddenly Noah wanted to stay. I was with Jonah since it was rainy and windy.
Later in the day I decided to try a little indoor exercise. Not necessarily Kung Fu, Just dancing or something. I noticed that at school the kids seemed to respond to some of the jumping around stuff better than Kung Fuing, which requires more focus.
I put on Dinosaur train songs instead of my usual Kung Fu music ideas and just tried to get them to dance around. But of course they did keep trying to look at the computer screen. And eventually Noah started doing Kung Fu moves even though I didn't ask him to.
For slower songs we did Mein Lay Jum. I tried to add running around, and Crawling and squats and then eventually I pulled out the pool noodles and we did mad sword fighting running in circles around the house. Sometimes I crawled  and tried to jump often for good measure. There was much laughing involved and I realized that even though I wasn't necessarily doing full force "serious" Kung Fu, that I was sweating, and much more quickly than I do for my usual work out. Perhaps I have been going about this all wrong. I should be doing this sort of play more often and doing less structure. Obviously they like it more and obviously I am getting a more cardio-vascular workout. I'm not saying I shouldn't do my other Kung Fu. But maybe I shouldn't make them do my other Kung Fu.
This kind of made me depressed. I felt like playing around is better than training anyway so what have I done with my life? Why didn't I focus on something like Computer Programming and just played around with moves I saw in Kung Fu movies on my own? I mean maybe just done a serious Kung Fu training for a month and then moved on with my life, visiting from time to time and going to performances as a friend.

But then, there is clearly something stronger about my strikes, not only than "normal" people, but also more than a lot of other Martial Artists who practice probably more than I do, but differently. Could I have arrived where I am today without the serious training. But then did it matter? I have no job after all. Well now that I have already done many serious years of training, in a way I have become stuck with those years. SO the only thing to do is to make sure my kids enjoy Kung Fu and gain the benefits of it without being "stuck" with it. I.e. have other skills that preferably make lots and lots of money. I still want them to know all the Kung Fu I do, to pass it on as some sort of secret Family Heirloom. In fact even in high school I had written a paper about my Kung fu practice to that effect. The fact that it was a very portable heirloom that is difficult to lose once you gain it. Was this the right thinking? Grace would say no. I guess I am of many minds about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment