Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

First Night

Last night the Kung Fu Federation performed for the First Night Procession. the team had members from Wong Keurng and Woo Ching White Crane working together as one team. The setting up and all that was a alot of work, but the parade itself was a lot of fun. A big rush. The funny thing is I'd never gone to that parade in years past. Maybe as a child but I don't remember. I always assumed that the First Night stuff was later than it was, or that you had to pay. But the parade is free. Maybe I just wasn't interested before. In any case it was a lot of wild fun. People were going up and putting stickers on other people's faces, we shot of confetti and got quite a work out on the parade route. I felt like there was a lot of running. And since it was two teams working as one, it was a very social event where we got to interact with and meet new people. It kind of felt like the first few times I had done lion dance.
Now if I could do something like that everyday I would probably be in really good shape.

I was going to bring Noah to this event, and I'm glad I didn't because the setting up of things ended up being several hours of waiting. But at the end there were fireworks and it would be nice if Noah could have been there for that. I guess in the future I could go with Noah to just the end part of the parade. But then we couldn't be in the parade. I actually saw a girl and her mother from Grace's team (Gund Kwok) in the crowd and my lion head went over to them.
"You look tired," said the mother, "I think you should put her in."
Sure! But we were at the end of the parade anyway.

Well this was a lot of fun and we got to be part of Menino's last first night. We'll see what next year brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment