Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Nato

Grace saw that these fermented soy beans are all the rage in Japan and bought a bunch of them for us to eat. By "us" she certainly didn't mean herself. Fu Yu is fermented Tofu and I really like that. So I figured I would like it. But it kind of looked like the loose poo I just changed out of Jonah's diaper. A poo that happened to push out of the diaper and all over the pants everywhere. Plus the smell of a fermented soybean has a poo like quality too. So I was not a fan. Jonah however ate it right up. I'm not sure if it is because he is sick and can't smell it, or maybe he just has a taste for that Japanese style of flavor. If he does he gets it from my mom. My mother once worked as the only white person at a Sushi place in Cambridge. The reason they didn't hire whites was because a lot of the people working there didn't speak English. But there was a lot of protests from white people about it anyway. This was the 80's I guess. Maybe there was sensitivity with all that Rising Sun novel and all that.  Anyway, they hired my mom because she could speak Japanese. And when the protests started they pointed to her and were like, "we do hire whites see?"

Anyway Grace bought a lot of this Nato stuff and showed me all these videos of people eating it. One is of a Japanese guy who speaks very little English but his presentation is in English. This may sound weird but he is like the Japanese version of a stereotypical white "dude" Not like a cowboy Dude. But like Jay and Silent Bob type dude. It was a very entertaining video. The Nato looked pretty good when he ate it. But the package we opened yesterday is still sitting on the dining room table with only a few baby Jonah bites having been taken out of it.


Maybe if I was like starving, I would eat it.

Jonah eats some weird stuff though.

Today Grace said she walked into the kitchen and saw a chair pushed up against the counter and a wrapper of butter.. empty. Now the whole stick wasn't there before. Maybe like10-15% of a butter stick. That is still quite a hunk of butter to eat straight. But I've seen Jonah try to eat butter like that. In fact I had taken measures to keep him away from that specific piece of butter. But then Grace left it out again.
I'm pretty sure he gets that from my mom too. Recently I have been liking butter a lot too. I just know it's not so great for me. But Jonah is two. What does he know? He thinks Nato is great.
Then again so does most of Japan. So maybe Jonah knows something I don't

No comments:

Post a Comment