Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Family Movies

So our family watched a couple of movies this weekend. Yesterday we watched Lee Daniel's "The Butler" For some reason I cried during the Freedom ride parts. I'm not exactly sure why. For the most part I liked the movie, and this might seem weird but the end just sort of seemed too happy. I mean Yeah, of course Obama gets elected and that part really is true but at that point it just seemed too, "Well isn't that nice." I'm sure some black people agree with me because as a white person (white enough.. you know what I mean, I'm not saying I'm not Chinese. I'm just saying I am white.), that is exactly the type of ending that I am looking for. Heck as a white person the movie could have just ended with Reagan saying something nice to him and the scene where the butler sits at the dinner, edit out awkward feelings and there is the version of the movie that would have been made in the 80's. Anyway, some of the scenes were definitely not for children, but sometimes Jonah left Noah's side at the PBS kids on the computer area we set up, and well, he saw some of those scenes. But once I got into the movie I really wanted to finish it. Towards the end it was really hard to watch because the kids started throwing things and asking questions really loud over the movie requiring us to put on captions. Noah only threw foam blocks, but Jonah threw heavy and hard things too. That's life I guess.
This morning we did more sledding, on top of the Kung Fu sledding we did yesterday. People keep complaining that it is cold. But the truth is, all you have to do is bundle up and you are fine. I mean we were out there for at least two hours, and my kids are 2 and four. Now those serious sub zero temperatures in the mid-west, that's another matter. But as long as you really put on layers and real snow and winter gear, it's fine. I was hot. We flew a kite, lost it in a tree, when Noah had to pee and I had to hold the kite by stepping on it, and after that bit of adventure we did a ton of sledding. Thank goodness it's too cold for everyone else, because that means my kids can safely sled and then take their sweet not paying attention time to get back up the hill.

After that it was lunch and off to the Library to watch Brave on the big screen. We have this movie, but watching it in a theater is just so much better. We missed a good portion of it. I was upset about that because the movie has turned me into a Julie Fowlis fan and I wanted to experience that song and sequence. but oh well. It was great to be able to almost feel the rain falling and chase the will o the wisps through a dark and scary forest. I teared up at that scene where Merida is crying and saying sorry for the trouble she has brought on her own family, even though I knew it was going to turn out okay. I do understand why I teared up for that and I wondered if mother's in the audience were doing the same. It was nice to hear people laughing at the jokes. There were quite a few adults at that movie by themselves in fact. It's a good movie. Anyway. We came back and wrote come New Year couplets. Now it's dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment