Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Tradition or new stuff?

Last after school class I brought the basics out for the kids. They could do them but I could sense them losing interest even more quickly than the kids at little panda. I'm in a smaller room which is good for control, but bad for really getting the kids moving around physically. The running around in the circle was more fun for the kids, but it was hard to control them or get them to do specific moves. I had even though of teaching them a traditional form. But realized that space would be an issue.

I was thinking this morning (because I was too sick or cold or whatever to sleep, that I would have to make some cuts in my class. I might have to do, warm up stances, while singing lion dance beats and holding pretend heads. Then maybe we'll parade in the hallway and com back to our place to do a combo beat.

Then I'm going to bring out something I had taught the kids who are now teenagers. I'm going to teach the choreographed story as a form. And I'm going to break the kids into groups. I thought of a way they can just to stage combat without it being dangerous. It will be all about posing and interacting far away from each other. And then maybe one slow motion technique (also maybe later on in the year), which they will talk about first and then I will observe them showing me. This will actually look good on stage. (It's what the theater people who aren't martial artists tend to do. Just saw it in the Lion King) Plus they will feel like they are creating moves. But at the same time it won't be all crazy. Crazy would be good for outside. And maybe even later in the year. But right now they don't have structured movements yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment