Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Running in place

The other day I was so sick of staying inside from the "Nor' eastah" we had, that I decided I would run in place. Of course it was a Kung Fu sort of running in place, and the added bonus of cultivating Chi as well as pushing and tightening my muscles and my finger was there. But basically it was running in place, mindfully, in a meditative state. I guess I got the idea because we have been moving a ton of stuff around and redoing the house, so I had to move the "gazelle" which has only been used a few times. Well anyway, I didn't use the gazelle, I ran in place, and I got a sweat working up and then after 20 minutes or so I was summoned to do something for the children.
The technique that I used happens to be in the first Kung Fu form I learned and it gave me the idea of doing a more "in place" version of the form for the children at the after school.
 We did. Some kids really liked it. But some of the kids said they didn't. (I have a section of the class where I get feedback.) Then again, there were a lot of children that didn't provide feedback that had opted for the  form over Lion Head making.

Maybe I just had too much form. It had become to difficult to follow. So this morning, I did the form for Noah. He liked it of course. But I think part of that, is he is further along in Kung Fu fluency because of being in more classes and also training at home.

At the end of class I had the parents follow me in a more repetitive and smaller section of the form. Adults tend to lose me quicker than children. I think it has to do with the fact that children are used to being lost, more or less, and accept that they will memorize or pick up whatever they are doing at some point.

In any case we did a small section of the form. But what is good about it (as opposed to basics) is that we worked more muscle groups and it wasn't as "boring" as basics might have been. It was more dynamic, like a fitness or cardio class, as opposed to a traditional Karate/ Kung Fu type of class. But it wasn't quite Cardio kickboxing either. We still did grounded moves. And unlike the fitness classes I used to teach, there weren't say, pushups in the middle. We really were doing a traditional Kung Fu form.


No comments:

Post a Comment