Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, October 13, 2014

Real life Self Defense

I have been thinking for a while about the easiest and most realistic Self Defense techniques. Washing your hands, and avoiding crowds. I mean with stuff like Entero virus and Ebola, who really is afraid of a mugging, or a "real fight in the street" other than the fact that if you do fight someone in the street, chances are you will somehow exchange bodily fluids and now you may have contracted something.
I've had a cough/allergy like symptoms for about a week now. It makes it difficult to sleep. Grace was actually really sick to the point of losing her voice.
But we all accept that occasionally we will get a little sick. But in the modern world, for a while I had assumed that you know, stuff like Ebola wouldn't reach us. That we wouldn't have something like the plague. I mean there was the SARS scare and all that. But that has never stopped me going into a crowd.
But I mean we haven't changed our behavior in the states. I mean we haven't stopped flights. People aren't walking around with masks.

The most annoying part is Jonah won't listen about washing hands and not putting his fingers in his mouth. I'm considering not taking him on the subway anymore, even if it means quitting one of the gigs I have in Chinatown. Is this paranoid considering Noah has school anyway?

I don't know I feel like they make them wash their hand at school. But Jonah deliberately does things I don't like to get a rise out of me. Which means flopping around and coughing on the subway. I mean I guess I wouldn't pull Noah out of school for the rest of his life. That would be crazy. Unless there is an actual outbreak here. Then I don't care, I would pull him out. But as of now that would be a crazy decision.
But I really am seriously thinking about discontinuing my traveling on the subway altogether with Jonah. When I am by myself I can go during off peak hours and I don't touch everything and then put my hands in my mouth.

On that note it would be nice if we just took some of the precautions they take for the common cold in asian countries.


I remember walking around with this mask years ago that Grace gave me. It was a a flu type mask from Taiwan. It turned out that I actually just had allergies not the flu. But people actually called security at my work. Because people are afraid of things that are unlikely to hurt them. But they are not afraid of things that can even kill them and their whole family and that has no human emotion whatsoever. A virus.

Maybe we are not afraid of things we can't see or can't imagine. Even if you have seen a picture of a virus or seen the actual virus under the microscope....well I guess it's just the people who have first hand experience with the virus, doctors and nurses, that sort of thing, who really understand it in that way.

I hope I never understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment