Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, October 6, 2014

Double Ten

Yesterday was a nice sunny day for a Double ten parade. Lion heads, drums and musket fire. I noticed a few Italian American groups that were part of the procession. A marching band, playing "Descendants of Dragons" and of course my favorite, revolutionary war re-enactors of Alepo. Whatever. Muskets are cool.
I didn't bring my kids because I knew Jonah would be too much, and I knew that Noah was sort of getting sick. Not sick sick, but weakish. So it was better for him to rest. Today is a school day after all.
So I didn't stay long after the flag raising ceremony. But actually,  our group stayed the longest of the lion teams so it's not like we took off earlier than anyone else, except the Taiwanese groups.
Last year I actually stayed for the whole thing even though tit was raining. But because it was raining me and Noah could get up real close and watch the performers. But I've seen this sort of stuff all the time. So I'm not going to stay and watch. But if Noah had been there I suppose I would have

The turn out seemed much bigger than the 5 star China flag. But then when the parade was over and we were standing there, the crowd kind of thinned out, and it ended up being about the same.

Next year I think both of my children will be well behaved enough to stay longer. And if they are both healthy that day, maybe we'll make it more of a family event. My kids are Taiwanese after all. But they don't really do anything Taiwanese. It's funny that it's me, the part of the family that isn't at all Taiwanese, is the one who actually seems concerned about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment