Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A veil of autumn leaves.

Today Jonah went a little off path in the woods. Not so much as to get lost. It's just that we hung out there longer than usual where we usually walk by. There were these huge sections of tree that had been cut down and were rotting and had mushroom growing on them. Jonah spent some time climbing on them and wanted me to join him. At first I wanted to complain that I didn't feel well, or that I would have to bend over. But then I just did it realizing it was sort of like a work out. And then instead of bending over I got down into low stances. I realized that I usually can't wait to get Jonah in the fenced off playground so I can do Kung Fu of some sort. And in all the time I ever spent time doing Kung Fu in the woods I rarely went off path. This is because it's hard to do a form or something. There is sort of no space while at the same time there is a lot of space. But actually this is perfect for Low stance Kung Fu. And maybe even more robust Kung Fu. Sprinting is just harder. Honestly you will just have to go slower. But since I am not feeling well, that is great. I spent some time hitting the dead tree, whose bark was thick but soft because of decay, and I thought, not for the first time, how foolish it is to make a wooden man, or a punching back, even if you make a cheap one yourself, when there are plenty of things to hit in the woods. Yeah you can't hit it as hard or this or that. But unless you are a professional boxer or training for some sort of combat sport in the ring with rules, you really don't need it.
But more than all that, it is nice to be some what hidden by the leaves and the trees. Not because you don't want people watching you. There is just something calming about hiding in a place. Like a child hiding under the blankets or a lion head, or a special cupboard or tree house. But at the same time, since it isn't walls but leaves, you are able to move freely in your Kung Fu exercise.
I suppose there is something freeing about being veiled or even restricted slightly.

The fact that it is beautiful, with bright reds and yellows, and there is a crunch of leaves under foot makes the whole experience even more wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment