Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Practicing my Daniel Tiger Techniques

Today was a productive but difficult Kung Fu class. I didn't bring the lion head, which may have been a mistake because some of Noah's friends from school showed up and that lion head is like a flag that says, "this is a Chinese Cultural Kung Fu type class." My other equipment just looks like toys, or weapons for children.

We did our stances and our Kung Fu Sprints. Noah hit the pad 300 times, sets of 100. We did other drills. It was a productive class. But there were a lot of meltdowns.

We took a lot of "soccer breaks" but that's good because that is still a physical thing that develops a lot of the things you need for Kung Fu.

What I hated were the melt downs.

Daniel Tigers "Give a Squeeze episode is on for a way to calm a kid down when they aren't paying attention.

I should have used that today. I used to use all these techniques more.

"If You get so mad that you want to roar, just take a deep breath and count to four."

Could have used that one too.

I've seen the episodes. I know the techniques. But I guess I have stopped watching the episodes as much. I guess you really have to watch them over and over to remind yourself of these options for how to get a child to do what you need, or want them to do.
And also how to give yourself an easier time of it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment