Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, July 25, 2014

A children's regimen

Today I actually got my kids to train Kung Fu in the morning and at the park. My standars for time were extremely low. And I wanted to make sure whatever we did, worked on strengthening my kids.
I had been talking to this other dad at the playground who did MMA vale Tudo Muay Thai and all that sort of thing. And he was talking about how his first teacher in Brazil always made sure that he was strong enough to do something before he did a move. I.e. lot sof boring stuff before fancier stuff.

That actually wasn't how I was trained so much, because my Sifu recognized that though this was important, people would soon leave if they didn't learn something knew. For instance, he said that in the village the first three months of Kung Fu was horse stance. JUST horse stance. For the first THREE MONTHS. I.e. the boot camp was one move. Cause really, that's all you need.

But the White Crane basics aren't physically challenging in terms of being able to do them. It's mastering them that is difficult. Hence, all the moves at once.


But they do get boring for a 4 and three year old.

This morning we quickly did a few stances (sort of) and then some palms (toi jerngs) and then we held the wall and did some one legged stuff and some slow kicks. I corrected their technique bu tthe real point of that was exercise, like Ballet Bar exercises.


Then at the playground we did Kung Fu sprints.


Horse stance and Toi jerngs running forward and backward. They really just ran, but that is also good for strength. And then whe I did the single sided stances, if I got low, I was slow enough that Noah could actually beat me. That was good for him. We didn't do everything I wanted, but I exerted myself , I am sore, and they did something. Soccer and other sorts of playing was next.

These running drills are difficult in a large group. (children fall and bump into each other) But I might try the ballet like kicks at Little Panda, as well as bring back the stances. I used to do those with them but had stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment