Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, July 25, 2014

Micah Christian has a voice touched by God

My wife has been watching a the clips of Micah Christian and Sons of Serendip singing a lot and I had mentioned to her in the past that he went to Stonehill. I'm not going to say we were best buddies and hung out all the time, but we were in a few classes together and were partners for a project in religion class, and knew each other, that sort of thing.

But mostly what I have been trying to explain to Grace is that, although what you hear in the clip is nice, you know good enough to to make the women in the audience break down in tears, capture the hearts and minds of the judges, and generally follow his voice to another plane where it is just him and them, somewhere only they know.... the truth is that he is even better than what you see on tv. For real.

In college there are these open mic type talent show things, in the Cafeteria, with all the bright harsh lights on, no ambiance, no stage, no atmosphere. I went there and played my dulcimer. Anyway that's why I was there.

Micah went up there and sang, sort of off the cuff Richard Marx's Right here waiting. Not with karaoke but a capella.

Now I have heard a lot of good singers I think. And Opera is different than pop singing. And then I have never heard the good singers compared in a competition format right next to each other. So I don't want to say Micah Christian is the best singer I have ever heard ever.

But I think in his style of singing he is the best singer I have ever heard ever.

And that style is different then the mellow version that is going to get him to win the whole America's got Talent competition.

The style on the show is heavenly in the way that the harp and this group of men carry you off into another world like elves might slow time. Magic and moonlight and all that.

But the style that I witnessed when he was younger had some of that, and POWER.

I was trying to describe it to Grace because obviously I cannot sing like that.

And I actually think I can sing. I don't sound like drowning cats or anything. Not when I'm sober. But I still no my limits.

His voice had a highness about it, and a simultaneous deep richness about it and that struck out at me like a forceful wind as I say in my hard cafeteria seat feet away. And talking about me made me relive that moment like it was a moment. Because at the time, it was just hanging out in college listening to a fellow talented student sing. I'm just saying that in that venue, the stage and the lighting and all that were all wrong and not only was everyone wowed, it was more than that. It was real.

But I never thought I would be trying to explain it to someone a decade alter as an event. There weren't even that many people there. But it really was a powerful experience.


I guess what I am saying is you never know who is around you or who they may become, or what sort of amazing thing you are witnessing....

Yes you do.

I wish I could have shared THAT clip.

But although it was not recorded, every moment in space time is a sort of eternity in itself, and that can be comforting. (Or horrifying)

I guess I'm just glad that now he is famous because it gave my mind the opportunity to sift back through that memory and bring it out to examine.

And in my mind, perhaps because it was so long ago, Micah was glowing with a light that came from his voice and not from the cafeteria bulbs. Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks. Maybe.

And all this time later, it touched me enough that I felt I had to write this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment