Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Minor League game

Yesterday we watched the USA-Belgium match for the world cup. It was pretty exciting. I don't often get excited about any sport. But now I think Noah is going to like soccer. After that game we went to a minor League game. "The Threshers" Noah at first wished it had been a soccer game. But soon he was talking with Gong Gong, learning the game of baseball, asking questions and bonding. Jonah bored quickly of the sports world (like me) and I had to take him to the kids section. This was $1 Tuesdays. Which meant there was an option of $1 seating  on the grass near the outfield. (though we opted for the $10 seats. I think we should go back next week for the $1 version.) There was also $1 ice cream, hot dogs, italian ice, and various other items. Also there were free games and bouncy houses and a playground. It was awesome.
"I could do this." I thought and said aloud to Grace. And then my mind wandered to how much time people spend doing something "Baseball." Practicing, playing for fun, playing "for real" watching the game, talking about the game, socializing while playing catch, socializing at batting cages. That's a lot of time. People thought I did too much Kung Fu. Well it's not true. It's just that society is more about baseball than Kung Fu. And then you go on to the next sport, whatever it is.

Well I definitely want Noah to be into sports. He should definitely play them too. But not to sit on the bench for some team like I did. It's okay if he's not good. But the whole point of sports to me is to develop other skills. Baseball is good for throwing, running, and hitting things with sticks. Soccer is good for kicking and running. I want Noah to do swimming and perhaps Volleyball too. And if he's not interested in all that, it's good to know how to talk about sports even if you are no athlete.

As far as being a fanatic sports parent, I would probably steer my kids in the direction of Science. If as a hobby you study Science, talk about Science, watch Science TV and watch people do experiments, and spend all that sports energy in that direction, I think it would end up being a) cheaper and b) more productive.
 But again, my kids will learn about sports too. We will just watch these minor league sort of things, adn maybe even high school games or something. And for now, just work on the basic skills involved. Like throwing, catching, and hitting (which is good for baseball and Kung Fu) Kicking, (soccer and Kung Fu) Swimming (uhhh survival, swimming, and cardio for Kung Fu) and hitting the balls with you hands (soccer if you are goalie, volleyball, and Kung Fu.

No comments:

Post a Comment