Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Tetris theme and Lenin's Young pioneer's pin in "The Americans"

I have been noticing that the background music in the Americans sounds a lot like that iconic Tetris theme. I wonder if that will com up in the show. Like Tetris will come out and they'll be like "hey can you believe this?" I mean they did have Henry bust out with some inherited spy tactics, carrying out surveillance on the neighbors and breaking in... so that he could play their crappy 80's video game system.

The Tetris theme is actually a folk song about some travelling peddler sleeping with a dark haired beauty in the fields at night in exchange for giving her a pin. And the first time I heard the theme in the show is... when Oleg gets Nina a young pioneer pin of Lenin. The song has continued, and maybe it was there from the get go, but I really thought about that pin, in the song when, when Oleg was pinning it close to Nina's heart. I figured I would write about it because I bet few people watching would even have cuaght that. Heck maybe it wasn't even intentional.

I only know this because I would pay the theme at the school and one of the students was actually from Russia, also from Vladivostok actually, and she printed out the music and lyrics for me. I had been playing it at a much higher octave and the version she printed out was much easier. More importantly, I learned what the song was actually about. A trust in the field.

So you could say because of this previous knowledge the puzzle pieces fell into place or me when I was watching the episode about the Young Pioneer Pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment