Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Are forms a waste of time?

Noah's really into sports and chess and games. He's even really into certain aspects of Kung Fu. I.e. today I hung up a tennis ball in a net-like bag from some sort of produce on a cord. I hung it on a tree and the boys hit it for more than an arrow using sticks, hands... whatever. I'm sure if Noah was my size he would like sparring of some sort, but doing forms.. he hates.

Well he used to like it but he just never wants to do the forms. which  makes me think... why force him? Well it kind of just annoys me when every so often I call upon him to do a form and he ends up forgetting the moves. It's like I wasted my time teaching them to him.

But he picked them up so fast, and he did all his Suzuki songs on the violin, so I figured, he has no problem continuing to learn more.... But it seems like he actually wants to learn the more practical side of Kung Fu more than forms. Of course without the painful getting down in stance that is.

But it's not like I have him do Kung Fu training for hours. I mean today he did, but it was all the games. We did volleyball (which has some carry over since you are hitting a target) and again, that tennis ball thing. So I guess he would train Kung Fu for hours like hitting a bag or something. Just not MY training. But the thing is, it's not like you can perform the stuff he practices. But maybe we don't need to focus on performances any more.

I  basically feel like maybe I should just drop it all. If he just wants to train his own way, let him. But then I'm like, "Dude I'm only making him do it my way for 10 minutes a day... if that. What's the big deal." In fact I don't think I forced him to do forms today. That was yesterday.

And all I did was say that he had to follow along as I did the forms with him. Can he use it? Does he understand these things? Not really. But he also doesn't practice them a whole lot. I don't think it's too much to ask to learn some sequences and maintain them. But should I stop introducing new material?

Not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment