Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Emotions

It is not easy to control your emotions. In fact I'm not sure control is the best method. Noah got very upset today because his friend hit him with an apple on the end of a fork.
I didn't see it, but even if I did I probably would have just taken away the fork  if a stabbing motion was involved... but still my problem with Noah's reaction was that he just cried and couldn't express himself and pretty much did not defend himself verbally or physically. However, then he goes and picks on Jonah. If you want to be the gentle child... that's okay. But if you are going to be rough and tumble, don't pick on the weak. Just stick up for yourself and for the weak who can't.

It goes to show that anger is or raw emotion is not necessarily more effective. Crying and even hitting in anger most of the power goes into the lungs, not from the lungs but into them and can even give a stroke. The power doesn't really come out of the fist.

This is why meditation, and a switch, to put all your effort into the task at hand, whether it is defending yourself physically, verbally or running or whatever you need to do is vital. Otherwise any technique you use is completely useless.

Although a lot of groups claim to practice this, in the end it is not necessarily so in practice. It depends on the situation. And the way you attain this state of calm, or at least ability to get the thing done.. well some people just do it naturally. I am not necessarily that type. But I thought of my childhood. I cried and would be bawling too... but I would be swinging at the person attacking me to. Ineffectively yes. But I didn't take it out on the weaker people. That type of behavior disgusts me. But I guess a lot of successful people exhibit this behavior because that way.. you never lose. You only ever attack weak prey. Even still I always yell at Noah for attacking the weak and also do not defend him right away so long as I think he can get out without being seriously hurt.

That doesn't mean I encourage him to pick fights with big kids. There are many ways to avoid the situation he was in. First of all, he went around the building where nobody could see him.

But it is better to learn this type of stuff now, in these safer situations, than to be oblivious to it and make it to adulthood.


No comments:

Post a Comment