Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, April 4, 2016

Rock Climbing and life lessons

The boys went rock climbing for a birthday party yesterday. I think they did much better than I would have. Mostly they were supported by the rope and when they tried to "free climb" they really weren't able to do it, so I don't want to pretend like my kids are real rock climbers. But I did see an advantage to these type of activities. I mean You do have to teach them rock climbing but it isn't the same as Kung Fu. They either do it or not. There is something more playful about it. There is something more useful about it, and there is also something that gives you a sense of accomplishment. I mean you don't need a medal when you literally just went over a wall. They use that term figuratively for stuff like martial arts or your career or whatever. But for rock climbing or mountain climbing you are doing the literal exercise that is often used in metaphor. And there is something to be said for that.

After all that, we went to get burgers and fries and Noah totally started acting up and dug himself into a hole of punishment. -300 points. He kept rebelling because he was set off by Mommy squeezing his cheek and though the punishment (-1 point) was unjust... so he rebelled which caused -2 points and then, it started getting worse from there.

 Why did I do this? I wanted to show him that there was a time to just shut up and not fight even if you are right. Bide your time. You see this all the time with encounters with police on viral videos. I'm not saying the police are right. They are wrong. But if I didn't teach Noah how to shut up and go with it when he is not in a stronger position, then he might try what people in the videos try and the videos don't go viral because of a happy ending.

So despite being tired that day he still did 300 points worth of Kung Fu. 1 form got you one point. 100 basics got you one point. 50 kicks got you one point. So How did he finish? If Dai Dai followed along for 100 basics he got 10 points. If he followed along for a form he got 20 points, and if he followed along for a form where Noah learned a new move, he got 25 points.

Dai Dai was willing to help Noah. But I didn't encourage Dai Dai to help him. In fact later on Noah totally ratted on Dau Dai over something and I said to Dai Dai, "See how he repays your kindness?"

What you think my parenting is messed up? I'm just providing ways to gain experience inside the home that mirrors the outside world and prepares them for it without the risks that come with the outside world. What's messed up about that?

Plus I finally got Noah to practice his forms.


But in terms of easiness, the rock climbing to learn about life lessons was much easier on me. I mean technically I just handed them over to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment