Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, April 11, 2016

Kicks

On Saturday the I started teaching kicks to my Kung Fu class at JQS. i did not teach kicks at First Baptist nor did I start teaching basic kicks at JQS because I though tey were too difficult. In truth, I never really did a ton a kicks so I would say my kicks have not achieved that high level. Though I mean I can do them and I have a sense of sending my chi into my foot... but still I feel like I needed a simple basic drill like kick to show.. and so I started practicing these drills on my own first. I enjoyed doing them and they engaged my core, etc. But would I use these in a fight? Well would I use anything in a real life situation?

That's a good question. Because experience had told me that I might do something completely different... and that will still work, from using words, to some other sort of strategy.

Anyway. I started teaching the kicks because a 6 year old in the class could do the spinning jump kick, so I figured, time to run through some of the basic kicks.

Then for application I showed how to use it on the ground. This is the "buk toi" Northern style kicks used in Ground fighting. I knew that anyone could do it because they also have this in Karate classes and because of that, the Self Defense class where I used to be a suited instructor used it as well. (They say they are not a system, but to me, all the moves are Karate basically, maybe some differences.)

I also showed some animal stuff, the crane strike or the Tiger Eye gouge (though some traditional masters may say that is not the correct application, I say, look you can do that too and what are you going to call it a different name? The hand still looks like a tiger claw.)

At the end of class, almost everyone really liked the kicks. (we end the class with a "What did you like or learn" circle moment) So we will continue with the kicks I guess.

I guess I was so happy that everyone else was happy that I left my hat. (My Favorite hat!) Why did I where it out like that? Well that's okay I guess. I looked online and these "Flat caps" seem to be pretty expensive. Maybe it was tim eto by a new one anyway. I'm sure I can get a cheaper priced one somewhere. It's not like I really NEED one.

No comments:

Post a Comment