Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Community Kung Fu

We went hiking with the sticks and baseball and volleyball yesterday day. Instead of going to the closest field we chose something farther to switch it up. As it turned out, on the way back we passed by Noah's friend's house. I ended up brushing up on a child's stick fighting form and they brought out a homemade Dragon head that had been intended for a Halloween costume.

Basically the result was a village style Kung Fu lesson and a type of Lion dance with a cardboard box.

I had seen some cardboard animal heads at the Curley art show that were really quite impressive. The colors just popped more than my home made head. And the shape, though not as intricate as a real lion head, were good enough. And I don't think Paper Mache was even involved. I have to try volunteer in that art class so that I can be inspired. My point is I have been thinking, oh I need this and that, for my dream of a Kung Fu lion dance troupe, but all I need is people. And then we get some sticks and cardboard boxes. Not that hard.

I mean when the kids moved with the cardboard box, that looked  fun. But when I did lion head moves with it. it brought a whole new dimension to it.

If there was a cloth tail added to it, that would be even cooler.

I had been thinking, "I need real heads and real drums if we are going to get gigs to perform lion dance."

This is probably still true. But why am I even thinking about that yet? I mean if you did a show and performed for the community... they will not turn you away if you ave buckets and cardboard boxes. So basically we should start with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment