Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Sticks

I have been teaching the kids and moms, at the playground stick fighting. In fact my class has become much more informal where they go straight to jumping in the head. I realize that to jump in and DO something with some kind of equipment, a stick or a lion head, is much more fun then lining up and punching. So even though I have to show each kid like an individual, it works out. In fact, the basic stick fighting moves I am teaching are so easy, I mean they are like Chinese Patty Cake really, except as I show them I realize it is really good for them in terms of learning to hit a target (the other persons stick ) and learning to control the stick and turn your body, etc... but I think it can become something that everyone just knows.. like Basketball or Salsa dancing.

I'll have the long stick, the short sticks, and I'll put some push hands and punching drills in there. And maybe everyone will pick up Cheun pow cup.

I was talking to 4 Suk (Sifu's younger brother) and he was saying that when he practiced (from 8pm- 12pm every night) he didn't do forms. It was just Chuen pow cup and stick for fighting. I am not teaching what he practiced exactly. I am teaching something that is more like a game. His was definitely a martial art... closer to MMA execpt with weapons, with stance and without rules, for the purpose of swimming down to Hong Kong.

But the point is, not everything has to be about lining up in rows. That's the easiest way to do it for me.... but is it the most effective and fun for them.

No instead I'll show some kids... and they'll show other kids, and the whol ething will be social and be about community.

No comments:

Post a Comment