Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Conversation, Kung Fu, Calligraphy

Yesterday I talked to someone from Hyde Square Task force about starting a Mandarin Conversation Group, and also a Lion Dance class to have a Chinese New Year celebration in JP. The more we talked I realized that it would be better if these classes were one class. But I've been racking my brain as to how to make a class like this in terms of schedule.
Hyde Square Task Force has so much set up already in terms of space, equipment and eager teens, that my mind almost starting going towards starting a real Kung Fu school there. But then I forgot the class has to be good for my kids, and I have to get what I want out of it (Me and my kids learning Mandarin) and focus on achieving the main visual goal, which is being able to do a Lion Dance Parade in JP.

One of the things about Hyde Square Task force is that the teen s actually earn a stipend to do the activity by going out and teaching others in the community. This is good because then I can teach a few people, and the classes where tons of people line up and do drills over and over, that can be run by the people I teach.

But my main point in writing this was to get my scheduling ideas onto paper. errr written down.


1. We should start with some brief meditation. Probably we only have time for a minute or so. Then do the breathing exercises. I should say, "let's meditate" and then a Mandarin speaker should then say, "Let's Meditate." and then everyone should then say, "Let's Meditate." I can imagine some people will think this is weird. So we might have to say it again and maybe each individual should say it by themselves. That way every one can be sure that we all know how to say that. I should say hands to the front, in English or Cantonese. And then a mandarin speaker has to say it in Mandarin. In any case, after a while, I hope to learn how to be able to run a class for adults in Mandarin by learning all this Kung Fu vocabulary.


2. Stretching and poses. Doing stretching and poses is a good way to learn body parts. Head to your Knee. Touch your fingers to your toes. etc. The thing about this class, is that the act of stretching or punching will be more about learning the words than about getting flexible or punching hard. 100 punches or palms should probably be done here so as to introduce the martial aspect of the class.

3. Welcome and conversation presentation.
Everyone will then go around and welcome each other (in Mandarin) to the group. If you don;t speak Mandarin, you will just have to repeat what someone else said, and learn how to say that. Hwan ying. etc.

4. Show and tell.
Every week we will present something to talk about. The first class we will present a lion head. Many classes we will present soem sort of Kung Fu move. But some classes we will also present something having nothing to do with Kung Fu. Restaurant Menu or something. But usually, we will do something having to do with Kung Fu. A technique of the day.


5. Splitting up into groups.
We will then split up into groups. Every group has to have one Native Mandarin Speaker. I suppose they will talk about anything they want. But I will most likely focus my conversations on something like Push hands, or Lion Dance, or a Kung Fu Technique. And it will be a physically animated demonstration. Whoever is in my group will get a lesson in Kung Fu (or will give me a lesson, if they happen to know Kung Fu.) But the conversation won;t remain on that subject alone. And again, the main purpose is to learn the words. I think Calligraphy and writing would be good for this section too. You can learn to write or talk about drawing or sketching with the brushes. Plus in a one on one type of environment, people are less likely to make a mess with the ink.


6. I guess at this point we will have to come back together and most likely a good amount of time will have past and class will have to end. The thing I'm worrying about here, is how will people learn how to perform the lion dance? Is there enough Kung Fu in this class? Maybe this ending section is a good time to do some free style forms (those that want to) and to play drums to accompany them.


I suppose that this same class, about two months before Chinese New Year will shift into being mostly about Lion Dance every class. And the Chinese beats will have to be learned. Of course all of these concepts will have been slowly introduced in the small group section of the class. That way the ideas will not necessarily be new to everyone. But will it work? Can you get a group of people to be able to do Kung Fu without drilling everyday? Why don't I have them drill every week for an hour? (Because my kids will not stand for that. And because drilling doesn't necessarily translate into being able to lion dance or to do forms.) Basically Everyone will have to practice on their own if they are going to get good. And hopefully the few that I teach, will be able to drill others.

Well, I'm pretty sure, the group will enable us to learn some Mandarin, for some Mandarin speakers who don't speak English, to learn some English, and for a cohesive group to be able to do Something with a lion head in JP on Chinese New Year. And I guess that's what the goals are.

No comments:

Post a Comment