Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, May 5, 2014

Children's museum

So I took Jonah to the Children's Museum today, because I had reserved a pass from the library. Unfortunately I didn't realize that pass was only for half price. But Once you get to the door, of course you are going to pay rather than not go in.
Jonah had a lot of fun, but I noticed the stuff he liked the most were things I could probably make at home with a little bit of effort. Like golf balls and ramps? Maybe I can't make it out of metal (I mean someone can, but I won't.) But cardboard tunnels will suffice. Plus then they could build it.

I mean I like the children's museum, but is this stuff better than the stuff at the playground? At the tot lot?
It was worth it to go this time. But Wake up the Earth was even better I think, and that was free. Something to think about.

Plus when you pay you feel like you have to stay longer. I like the relaxed feeling of being able to leave whenever you want. Plus when I don't pay for a ticket I tend to buy lunch somewhere. Luckily I packed a lunch this time, and I suppose if I took Jonah to a restaurant it would be around $14.00. But if we got Pizza or baos, it would be a lot cheaper than that.

I asked him on the way home if he liked the Children's Museum better or the Science museum and he said he liked the Science museum better.
"Good!" I said. Because the Science Museum pass of free, And I also feel like he is learning more at the Science Museum too. The experiments at the Children's museum are good too, but when you get a lot of kids, they aren't really experimenting. I guess what you learn about more is Chaos theory.

There was also this Japanese drumming ritual group happening. They performed and also showed a video of the ritual in Japan. Jonah wasn't impressed. But I thought it was cool and also remembered seeing a family in Japan dressed up in the outfits for a similar festival/ceremony. It took until today to feel sorry I had missed whatever event that family had been going to. (They were clearly coming back from it.) Because while I was in Japan, anything we saw was already like a festival to us. But now I was like, "shoot I wish I had seen the real thing when I was there."

I can see why Jonah wasn't impressed though. Japanese rituals have a very ancient and serious feel to them. Austere. Where as the Chinese Lion Dance drumming Jonah is used to, is louder, more colorful, and since he is part of the group he even gets to go into the head.

But for me it is interesting to see how another culture does their drumming. So even though I do some sort of drumming all the time, and the group at the museum today was doing something more tame, and slow, with flutes and sitting or kneeling down, I was still interested in watching it. But in the end, we are at the museum for Jonah so we went back to the golf ball room. Honestly that's all he cared about.

Well I guess me and Noah and Jonah will try to construct something tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment