Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, April 2, 2015

A return to tradition

I have been moving more toward more traditional aspects of teaching class. It may be because Noah is now ready for them and as this happens doing songs and dances becomes more annoying for me. Furthermore as I run into more resistance (not from kids) but from others regarding the more "fun" aspects of class, i.e. sword fighting, and line drills that are more like what dancers do, I think I am going to return to doing stances and basics. After all, those are the safest drills to do, even if they are boring. The kids can focus on this for so long, but maybe that's the first thing they need to learn. In fact, I may bring meditation back to my little after school class and have to be more disciplinarian about sending kids who disrupt kids to the office. Perhaps we will just do basics, some push hands, and then at the end take turns doing free style forms one at a time. The performance at the end of the year will simply be stance work and basics. If I end up having more time and the kids can't focus to do basics again, I may start reading a story to them that introduces Chinese Culture.
It was great at first when the kids would repeat the Chinese names of the stances. But then I noticed some of the kids were mocking the words more than trying to say them. I sort of felt like Dave Chappelle watching a white guy laughing at his jokes, but in a way that seemed inappropriate. Was I teaching my art, half of my heritage,  bring it outsiders so that it could be mocked?

But I feel like quitting would be wrong. I will just makes sure that the Sifu is the most important part of the class from now on and not the students. Letting everyone find their own way and all that American interpretation of Kung Fu and Yoga and meditation sounds nice. But in a class there is one Sifu. And since the class is only once a week, the students kind find their own way for the rest of the week outside of that 30 minutes of doing it my way which was my Sifu's way, which was his Sifu's way.

No comments:

Post a Comment