Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, April 3, 2015

My Christian post

So I saw people on Facebook start to post their little faith sharing thoughts. And I also saw this video.





You = water
Sin = water+iodine 
Christ = water+bleach



These type of videos make me realize I am still uncomfortable with most Christian lingo. Basically, according to the analogy shown in this video, if I were Hitler, no let us say if I were Darth Vader (who by the way is the  son of his mother and the Force. So basically Anakin is the son of God.) But anyway, if I am Lord Vader and I destroy planets and torture people including my own daughter, light saber fight with my son and not in a nice way. Strangle my wife with the force. As long as I believe in Christ (and in Star Wars world that would be me because I am the son of the force) all my sins are gone. Hmmmmmm....



I am Catholic so I will use a Catholic way of saying it. Sin in Catholic lingo is turning away from God. So all you have to do is turn toward God and you are saved. Of course there is purgatory and all that too. In the Vader example, at the end he is saved and joins the other Jedi in the Force because he turns back to the good side by saving looking and killing the Emperor. But that turning back is shown by an action, in which he still kills someone. In this example it is Luke who is more like Christ even though Luke is the son of the son of the Force. Actually Vader says to Luke when Luke says he can save him, 'You already have." 



Before I started wearing Catholic clothes I considered myself Buddhist of the Chinese Folk religion and later Kung Fu flavor. And most of the Buddhist lingo in English is comfortable to me. (In fact most of the academic Christian lingo I am also comfortable with too. Just not the stuff on the street as it were) So let's look at this experiment from this perspective. Enlightenment wipes away everything just like the Christ. I suppose you could ride on the coat tails of Buddha if you don't trust yourself to gain enlightenment alone and ask to be saved instead (from yourself) This experiment could work with Buddha as Christ too. Except instead of dying to save you, he just taught you instead. Or if you are praying to Kwan Yin, she just comes and saves you. 



Chinese mix there Buddhism with Taoism so let's look at it like that. I'll go with, "All things are the same just named differently." And "the sacred and the profane are the same, just named differently." In fact, in the experiment you mix sin and you and Christ. All these are actually just the same thing. Don't get all excited about colors changing. In fact the glasses and the table and the person pouring glasses are all in one room and all of the elements and energy and all that is part of the same universe. 



And here is where I out myself as not the Christian that usually faith shares. 

I don't believe in converting people. Because ultimately they are already converted, whatever they are doing. The Abrahamic religions are all one religion. The Pagan religions, the Hindu Religions the Taoists and the Scientists and Atheists, it's all the same but named differently. Religion to me is like Kung Fu systems. A boxing punch works. A Wing Chun punch works. The difference is when you are doing Wing Chun, you follow a certain way. When you are boxing you do another way. You can do both. You can mix them. But they are still different and they both still work. 



The atheist or at least Scientific perspective. I assume Neil DeGrasse Tyson is Atheist. Or in any case, he doesn't believe in Faith. He believes in evidence. But some of the most spiritual things in my world view are from him. For instance, that we are the Universe looking and studying itself.  



For Jesus and Buddhism the Kingdom of God or enlightenment was a state of being. That's what I learned at Nativity by the way from a Jesuit priest. Heaven as a place is tool to explain heaven, just like the experiment in the video is actually Chemistry, to explain a point. To just be happy instantly is not easy. But if you give someone a sugar pill the placebo effect can cure a ton of stuff. Christ is like that. In the Catholic religion a priest can give you communion (body and blood of Christ) or just bless you and I myself have felt a feeling. A something. A saving. From a blessing, as I am not allowed to take Communion. So the video above is true, even from a scientific perspective, not because of the power of Christ, but because of the power of your belief in Christ, or a sugar pill, or anything really. 



And the dark side of that is if you are total jerk the placebo effect can work for you too. But if you are a truly good person and helping people, you can still be miserable and even somehow believe that you are not saved or not good or wretched. 



Well let's all seek to be that reborn happy person, risen up from all problems, even from torture and death, whatever your worldview.

No comments:

Post a Comment