Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Excitement

Some of the parents are trying to inspire more people to come to the Wake Up the Earth Parade on Saturday by having a "make your own lion mask" station outside after school. Noah was really excited about that, so much so that I asked him if he wanted to do that mask instead of his lion head. I mean, it would be easier for us. 
Also another parent made a 5X5 Curley lion, the winged lion, which is the school's mascot. It is impressive.  And when she admitted that she studied at the MFA for sculpture, it makes sense. She ave me some tips too one materials to etc. because I had tried to make lion heads before and ended up having to dump them. Of course I guess I should finish painting our K Lun Dragon creation. But there is also no rush because we won't use it for a while. 

Jonah made a bunch of paper plate shakers and Noah was pretty excited about those too. I'm not sure if the excitement is what made him wake up at 6:30 or so, but he did. He even started practice Kung Fu without me.
"Shao's down there practicing like a good little soldier" Grace said teasing me. 
"Let's get down to business... to defeat.. the Huns." I sang in a joking way and then went back to my meditation. But then somehow Noah asked me a bunch of questions and I went downstairs to join him. I did my 5 Tibetan rites, which I have been doing as a thing. And Noah joined in. Then it was Mountain wind basics, and we did charging 100 basics for palms, punches, punch block, and punch push. 

Noah did a bunch more Sup Ji moves yesterday so he needs to do those last two basics, to clean up the way they look in the form. He used to dislike basics. But now that he sees that they apply to the forms, he likes them. 

As we did the charging punches Grace ran by singing the Mulan song again which made us laugh which made it difficult to concentrate on punches. I guess it was a funny seen because we were both punching as hard as we could and I was shirtless. 

Noah kept asking question during the rest period like, "Why do we have our hands behind our back? Why are we walking in a circle? How many circles are we walking?" During the Five tibetan rites, which I only did 6 of each move he was like, "How many more do we have to do?" right at 4 or 5. For the Punch block he also asked, "How many more are we doing?" During the 100. But during the charging fists and palms he didn't ask that. In fact he would ask at the end, "Was that 100 it didn't feel like 100." 

In other words. He can get mentally tired pretty quick and needs a break. But physically he is fine. At the same time, we did the slow Mountain wind stuff at the beginning. Slow and hard like a mountain. Slow and soft like the wind. And then a combination of the two. So it's not like we only did the charging moves, which tend to be unprecise even when I do it. 

Mommy had fed him and he brushed his teeth and put on his shoes and we got to school before the door even opened... basically he got a ton of points today. He brought his shakers to school, which is good, but also bad if Jonah ends up wanting them. But I guess we could just make another pair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment